Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Comic Links

Ive always wanted to draw comics.


I remember my first comic, it was a copy of ALF, and I still have it somewhere in my collection, a little worse for wear, I am pretty sure I won it at a Church Festival years ago. Following that I dove in with my neighbors Joe and Joe into the world of comics, off and on for the next 20 years. I would buy for a time, until life became to busy or the stories boring and I would neglect my collection. But I always came back: Spider Man, Captain America, Batman are the ones Ive settled on today, when I read I stick with these.

I haven't purchased a comic myself in about 4 years (which means I am REALLY behind) But even before my first comic, I was in love with the whole 'hero' idea, and especially Spider Man. I had the Spider Copter, Spider Car, two Spider Bikes (one with and one without a Spider Man) a spider cup, and a slew of other Spider Man accessories and such. I went as Spider Man for Halloween in one of those Mask and plastic outfits they used to sell (He Man and Voltron were my identities other years.) Mom and Dad took care of my addiction, adding He-Man and Transformers to the list as well. My whole family knew about it, and in fact on graduating from college my aunt purchased a "wrist webslinger" for me, that shoots silly string or water. Apparently, before I can remember, I used to run around making the "thwipping" noise of the web and swinging around the house.

But enough of my childhood, back to the comics. And by back to the comics, I mean Online Web Based comics I read today. Since college I have had a need to read something daily, that wasn't the news. Not your normal Sunday comics, not Garfield, or Peanuts, but something different. Following the lead again from one of the Joe's, I began to read the comic GOATS. Which was a story of two guys, on a coach with talking animals, a Chicken and a Goat. . .

This is the longest running comic Ive read online, but in following it I have picked up on a few others, including Diesel Sweeties, Scary Go Round, RPG World, and Overcompensating. On a regular basis they keep me laughing and intrigued: and they keep me reading. Most recently Ive begun to read a fantastic comic called Dr. McNinja. . . check it out! Hilarity. . . this is what occupies my day when I am bored or just don't feel like doing any work whatsoever.

A close personal friend of mine also has a web comic, one he created and based on real life occurrences while he was in college at the University of Cincinnati: FUNCTIONBAD. On occasion, Ive been able to make appearances such as this one here from my recent trip to Chicago, or earlier from my time in Miami. Ive also been able to contribute a little to the random function badness on occasion here, here, here and here. . .

Its fun to draw random images, but the idea of a serial comic is still appealing, and I may from time to time start to post one here. . . if I ever figure out the right subject material or characters. . . once upon a time I drew a comic called Dave's Adventures, a silly violent comic about a buddy who is actually now a priest. . . I may throw a few of those up sometime. . .

There is also my story of Achmel and Rahim, two friends who happen upon a pair of time traveling pants in Mexico created by the Nazis during World War II. . .
:)

No comments: