Greetings from Stow, Ohio!
I arrived here on Monday, basically on a whim. Lately, well for a long time I seem to make decisions by the seat of my pants, jump head first and figure things out along the way. This summer has been a collection of two jobs, two mission trips and a history camp that have all been slightly impromptu, but outrageously fun.
So here I am, just south of Cleveland, because of my new friend Samantha. She was a fellow counselor at Camp JTF with me, and suggested I should come along with her church on a mission trip to Hope Homes. I'm glad I did.
Hope Homes is a fantastic organization, providing care for those that need it. I encourage you to check out their sight, as they can explain it much better than I. Mentally challenged adults, living in various stages of assisted living, with day programs, housing and a staff that busts their rear to provide the best existence for every single client.
http://www.hopehomes.org/
Ive been a bit delinquent in updating with pictures, but here are a few I have been able to take with a bit of commentary.
We arrived on Monday, and completed some mulching and gardening around the base office, where clients come for day activities. Ive made many new friends, and had some great interactions with all of them. After finishing up the mulching, we had a dinner of spaghetti and meatballs, and crashed early. Well, I was up till about midnight watching the Justice League movie. . . but that's because I have my own little office room with a television and VCR. :)
The second day we did mulching at the two original program homes they had built, as well as some scraping of paint on some old fencing. We have taken tours of all the homes, which are designed much like college houses - each is subdivided into bedrooms, with big kitchen and dining areas, and common rooms for the residents to commune in. And when I say commune, I mean pool, table tennis, BURGER TIME, Pinball, exercise bikes, big screen televisions - you name it, it is hear. Each home has a staff that takes care of the residents through out the day, depending on their need.
After mulching, and weeding the day away on Tuesday, we were treated to PIZZA PAN PIZZA and Karaoke at the home office. Yes, a wild night of food, singing, dancing and fun. No I did not sing. No I did not dance. YES I clapped loudly and YES I encouraged everyone else to sing and dance. I hung out at the tables, flipping through the selection book. . . much like I normally do at any karaoke bar. :) Awesome. Of course I also got to chat with all the residents who came to hang out.
Wednesday was painting day - one wall orange, the other a light yellow that I will call "Crescent Moon." It took three coats, but each wall looks really good - really gives the room a brighter feel to it. For lunch we grilled out burgers and hot dogs, and enjoyed it all under the patio pavillion outside, see the picture at the very top. Evening was spent at a Bible study with the CEO of Hope Homes at her church nearby. A run and a shower and I am ready for nite time sleepy. Mmmhmmm!
Tomorrow I have no idea what we are doing.
:)
Aaron
No comments:
Post a Comment